- TWO HOUR HIKE AMONGST GLACIER ICE FORMATIONS OF Franz Josef Glacier
- Ten minute scenic helicopter flight with snow landing
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- Informative commentary during the flight and guided walk
- Professionally trained pilot with specific experience flying in New Zealand's alpine environment
- Hotel pickup and drop off
|October to April||
|May to September||
|Frequency||Daily. All year round|
|Total Duration||3 Hours|
Heli Hike departs from "The Helicopter Franz Josef Glacier Base", situated on the main road of Franz Josef Glacier.
Alternatively the Shuttle bus from your centrally located Fox or Franz Josef glacier accommodation can be nominated at time of booking.
|Return To||Flight concludes at original point of departure|
|PLEASE NOTE||Minimum age is 10 years old and moderate fitness is required.|
- Confirmation E-Voucher will be sent to you within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- E-Voucher contains operator details, times and local contact telephone numbers
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
Combine an awesome scenic helicopter flight over New Zealand's Franz Josef Glacier with a unique guided walk through the extraordinary alpine landscape. See the ice-flow from above and then up close, on this unforgettable guided walk.
The two-hour guided walk is amongst the ice caves, pinnacles and seracs. As you wander through this winter wonderland, learn about glacier processes and enjoy supreme panoramic views with your small group tour.
Your professional guide will show you the most spectacular ice formations and your guide will lead you into the most spectacular icefall terrain that is usually seen only by experienced mountaineers. With a spotless safety record, rigid assessments, and using exclusive quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is taken care of.
The rugged West Coast is hemmed between the Tasman Sea and the imposing Southern Alps, making for spectacular contrasts in the surrounding scenery. Franz Josef Glacier, found in the stunning Westland National Park, is one of the most spectacular glaciers in this region.
How do you reach this pristine location? By helicopter of course.
- Please bring Warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers), Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable, Sunglasses, Sunscreen, Waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one), and of course A sense of fun and adventure!
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated
- Children must be accompanied by a fare paying adult
- Food and drinks are excluded
- All flights operate subject to suitable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- It is recommended that warm clothing and suitable footwear be worn on this tour due to cold temperatures
- The Operator reserves the right to alter prices, departure times and flight routes or arrange alternative helicopter services
- All flights require a minimum number of 3 passengers for departures. Bookings will be accepted for numbers less than the required minimum number on the basis that bookings will be co-ordinated to achieve minimum numbers
- Fleet predominantly of twin-engine helicopters. Professionally trained pilots with specific experience flying in New Zealand’s alpine environment. All aircraft are maintained and pilots licensed to New Zealand Civil Aviation requirements