New Zealand Tour
- Swim with the small, playful Hector Dolphin
- Cruise on the Akaroa Harbour
- Wet suits, masks and snorkels provided
- 10 swimmers per vessel for plenty of time with the dolphins
- The most interactive of wild dolphins
- Jet powered catamaran means no propellers
- Heated cabin for quick warmth
- Part of the fare donated to research
- Photos available for purchase
- Children get a free Dolphin Fun and Activity Book
11.30am from Akaroa, or 8:30am from Christchurch
|Frequency||Daily in summer (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat in winter)|
|Total Duration||3 Hours on the water|
Main Wharf, Akaroa
|NOTE||Direct Shuttle from Christchurch is an optional extra of around $50 per person return, and must be booked separately, making it a 7 hour trip in total.|
- Confirmation E-Voucher will be sent within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- E-Voucher contains operator details, times and local contact telephone numbers
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel
Akaroa Harbour is actually the flooded crater of an extinct volcano. Apart from the huge and awe-inspiring volcanic cliffs, this also means that the harbour is very sheltered. Your swim is not in the open sea, it's inside a sheltered harbour.
Swim and interact with the world's smallest dolphins, the Hector Dolphin, found only in New Zealand. Your swim includes a wetsuit, mask, snorkel and hot drinks and a shower afterwards.
But imagine the thrill of swimming, in the wild, with these magnificant creatures, rather than in an enclosed pen.
These dolphins actually seem to enjoy human interaction and will give you such sheer delight.
Only 10 people per vessell can enjoy this exclusive experience and the highly trained staff will give you a full briefing on how to interact and what to expect.
Plus our photographer will capture your special moments for you to peruse. The great momento includes images of you in the water and a video of the dolphins in general.
Akaroa Harbour is the only place on the entire planet where you can get up close and personal to swim with New Zealand's playful Hector's dolphin, the world's smallest and rarest species.
If you are looking for one of the best things to do in and around Christchurch, dolphin swimming is the answer. Depart the historic French township of Akaroa, aboard one of Black Cat Cruises safe and comfortable vessels. All year round an unforgettable adventure awaits you, where everthing is provided for your pleasure: wetsuits, (dry suits in winter) masks, snorkels, hot showers, hot chocolate, even a free gift pack. Dolphin watching on the Akaroa Harbour Nature Cruise is also a fantastic attraction in Akaroa where you can also see seals, penguins and other seafaring wildlife from aboard. Black Cat Cruises, winner supreme NZ Tourism Award.
- Morning/afternoon tea, refreshments (own expense)
- Swimmers should be confident in the water
- Bring a togs (bathers/swimmers), hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, comfortable shoes and camera
- Covered footwear should be worn
- In winter months we advise dressing warmly - jackets and warm clothes recommended
- A portion of your fare contributes to marine mammal research and conservation
- If you see dolphins but for some reason do not get to swim with them, then we give you a part refund. This might happen if the dolphins have calves with them, or are feeding or mating. In this case you get a $50 refund from your fare. In the last 12 months we saw dolphins on 98% of our cruises and had successful swims on 81%. If in the unlikely event no dolphins are spotted you will receive a 75% refund.
- Child ages are 8-15 years inclusive